WIDA English Language Development Standards Framework: Training of Trainers (ToT)
Audience: Educators/Leaders who will facilitate workshops or share resources with other educators in their educational settings
Maximum Number of Participants: 20 per facilitator
Duration: three days
This three-day, interactive workshop is based on a student-centered, teacher-focused approach to engage participants in a variety of facilitation techniques that they can replicate for educators of ELLs to better understand academic language development. This workshop has been designed for educators who have a strong foundation in second language acquisition and some understanding of the ELD Standards Framework. While acquiring facilitation techniques, participants will deepen their understanding of the Framework.
Please note that the SEA or LEA is responsible for determining a process to identify participants and for providing follow-up with participants after the workshop.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to describe and explain in order to provide facilitation on:
- academic language within the WIDA ELD Standards
- the components of the WIDA ELD Standards Framework (Guiding Principles, Can Do Philosophy, Features of Academic Language, Performance Definitions, standards matrix)
- the features of the amplified matrix
- the elements of a model performance indicator (MPI)
- the role of MPIs in creating language objectives connected to content