WIDA's 2012 Amplification of the ELD Standards
We are pleased to announce the release of the 2012 Amplification of the English Language Development Standards.This document was developed with input from leaders in the field and educators in WIDA Consortium member states. This process was also informed by the latest developments in both English language development research and states' content standards for college and career readiness.
The 2012 Amplification of the ELD Standards, Kindergarten–Grade
12 is available for free download or for purchase as a spiral-bound booklet. Order Now
Here are some suggestions for how you might organize your review of the standards publication:
- Review our 2012 Amplification Overview Tutorial as many times as you like! Please make sure your computer's sound is turned on so you can hear the narration. The tutorial is approximately 11 minutes long.
- Look at the Defining Features of Academic Language and Performance Definitions (under Downloads & Products above) and think about how they apply at your grade level.
- Download and review the amplification of the WIDA ELD Standards for Kindergarten-Grade 12. Please note: WIDA plans to release PreKindergarten standards for 3- and 4-year-olds at a later date.
- Watch a recorded webinar (see Nov. 29, 2012 recorded webinar under Downloads & Products at top right). This webinar explores applied use of the ELD Standards framework for writing language objectives for a sample lesson. The webinar is approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes long, broken down as follows:
0 - 1:34 Introduction
1:34 - 10:20 Fast forward through live webinar participant instructions, technical difficulty, download handouts at www.wida.us/standards/webinars.aspx
10:20 - 22:20 Objectives and background on WIDA and academic language
22:20 - 33:15 Five standards, language development process, interactive pause
33:15 - 49:38 Features of Academic Language, interactive pause
49:38 - 1:01:18 Performance Definitions, interactive pause
1:01:18 - 1:28:00 Standards matrix, interactive pause, unique strands
1:28:00 - 1:56:24 Sample lesson: writing language targets and objectives, how standards framework tools relate to this process
1:56:24 - End Conclusion, Q&A
- Consider how you might incorporate the 2012 Edition into your practice and make plans to share it with your colleagues in a meaningful way!
The Debut of the 2012 Amplification of the WIDA ELD Standards
Starting in August 2012, WIDA held four unprecedented events to introduce educators to the 2012 amplification of its English Language Development Standards. In addition to hearing exciting keynotes, engaging in activities, questioning a panel of local practitioners, and entering raffles, participants were able to:
- Discuss how to infuse language development standards into their
- Explore connections to the Common Core State Standards
- Reflect on the sociocultural context of classrooms
- Connect with colleagues and other experienced educators
|Dates and Cities for the Debut of the WIDA ELD Standards, 2012 Edition
|Aug. 9-10, 2012
Diep Nguyen, Ph.D.
See presenter bio page
|Sept. 20-21, 2012
|Oct. 25-26, 2012
Keynote Speaker: Jeff Zwiers, Ed.D.
See presenter bio page
|Nov. 8-9, 2012
Please see "2012 Standards Debut Event" under Downloads and Products at the upper right of this page for video footage and artifacts from these events. More items will be added soon. Thank you to all participants for making these events such a success!
WIDA's ELP Standards, 2007 Edition
standards outline the progression of English language development and exemplify
how to teach academic language within the context of content area instruction.
The WIDA Consortium's English Language Proficiency Standards encompass:
- Social and Instructional language
- the language of Language Arts
- the language of Mathematics
- the language of Science
- the language of Social Studies
The WIDA ELP Standards and Resource Guide, 2007 Edition, PreKindergarten–Grade
12 is available for free download or for purchase as a spiral-bound booklet.
Understanding the WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards: A Resource Guide
is an introduction to using the Standards. The final sections of the Resource Guide
contain several tools WIDA has developed for use with our assessments and in the
classroom, some of which are also available as separate downloads. They are:
- The Performance Definitions for WIDA's levels of language proficiency
- The Speaking and Writing Rubrics for classroom assessment
- The PreK-Grade 12 CAN DO Descriptors*
*The CAN DO Descriptors are also available by grade level
Search the Standards
Try our web-based tool for locating strands of model performance indicators related to particular standards, domains, or example topics.
Read WIDA blogs (Parts 1 and 2) pertaining to transforming the WIDA standards.
Have you noticed that word walls are a common support in the WIDA standards? Get some tips on creating your own on the WIDA blog!
Virginia Department of Education ELP Standards Videos
The Virginia Department of Education has generously offered to share a series of
videos created by teachers, for teachers, to promote understanding of the WIDA ELP
Standards and offer example lesson plans based on certain language functions.
You may view the videos and download lesson materials from the Virginia Department of Education website.
WIDA encourages and appreciates the willingness of our member states to share any
such local efforts in order to maximize the number of educators benefitting from
your work. If your state or district has unique or outstanding projects underway
that can be shared with the consortium, please contact Andrea Cammilleri.at
WIDA's ELP Standards, 2004 Edition
The WIDA ELP Standards, 2004 Edition, is comprised of four documents.
The Overview Document is an introduction to understanding and using
The three frameworks of the 2004 Edition allow you to focus on classroom learning,
assessment, or look at both simulaneously. They are:
- Classroom framework: the model performance indicators (MPIs) in
this framework focus on the process of learning, offering expectations for student
involvement in performance-based, hands-on learning.
- Large-scale framework: the MPIs in this framework are suitable
for large-scale assessment and therefore lack interactive supports for students.
These MPIs emphasize the products of learning.
- Combined framework: integrates the elements of both the classroom
and large-scale frameworks.