Will Kentucky be administering online or paper ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 in 2015-2016?
Beginning January 4, 2016, Kentucky's English learners (ELs) will be administered ACCESS for ELLs 2.0, which replaces ACCESS for ELLs. The Kentucky State Department of Education strongly encourages Grades 1-12 ELs be administered the online version. There are many benefits to the online testing, increased student engagement through the more dynamic testing experience, built-in accommodations, and accessibility features appropriate. With the online version, multiple grades can be administered and finally, increased ease for Test Administrators (TA), who will no longer need to administer and score the Speaking test one-on-one.
ACCESS 2.0 will be online. All TAs, Test Coordinators and Tech Coordinators administering the online assessment will have to complete a checklist.
Kindergarten ACCESS for ELLs and Alternate ACCESS for ELLs will remain paper-based. All TAs administering the paper/pencil assessments will have to take the quizzes again this year.
What type of training is available for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 for the three roles of those participating in delivery – Test Administrators, Test Coordinators, Tech Coordinators?
- All training materials will be available virtually through web-based modules and online resources
- WIDA has developed checklists to provide specific information to support test preparation and administration for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 for school year 2015-2016. These checklists are the following roles:
- Technology Coordinator – responsible for all technical and system set up for online testing
- Test Coordinator – responsible for the overall coordination or test administration activities
- Test Administrator – responsible for administering ACCESS for ELLs 2.0
Recorded webinars are available on the WIDA website as well the registration links to upcoming training webinars.
The Kentucky Department of Education will be hosting several ACCESS 2.0 Lync sessions to assist districts this year with testing. See Kentucky specific trainings in the Monday DAC E-mail.
Writing Domain (Testing Online)
- For grades 1-3- The prompts and responses will be entered in the test booklet
- For grades 4-5- The prompts will be online and responses will be entered in the test booklet
- For grades 6-12- The prompts and responses will be entered online