Will South Dakota be administering online or paper ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 in 2015-2016?
Beginning in the 2015-2016 school year, South Dakota's English Language Learners will be administered ACCESS for ELLs 2.0. The South Dakota Department of Education requires ELLs in grades 1-12 be administered the online version except in cases where online testing is not allowed. There are many benefits to the online testing, increased student engagement through the more dynamic testing experience, built-in accommodations, and accessibility features appropriate, to name a few. With the online version, multiple grades can be administered and finally, increased ease for TAs, who will no longer need to administer and score the Speaking test one-on-one. Kindergarten ACCESS for ELLs continues to be paper-based and Alternate ACCESS for ELLs will remain the same. ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 paper-based assessment will be available for districts that are not ready for online testing. The paper-based version will also be available as an accommodation.
Will 4th and 5th grade ELLs on the Writing test respond by handwriting or keyboarding?
South Dakota's 4th and 5th grade students will keyboard their Writing responses.
What type of training is available for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 and for the three roles of those participating in delivery (Test Administrators, Test Coordinators, and Tech Coordinators)?
- All training materials will be available virtually through web-based modules and online resources.
- WIDA has developed checklists to provide specific information to support test preparation and administration for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 for school year 2015-2016. These checklists are the following roles:
- Technology Coordinator – responsible for all technical and system set up for online testing
- Test Coordinator – responsible for the overall coordination or test administration activities
- Test Administrator – responsible for administering ACCESS for ELLs 2.0
These checklists can be found under ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 Preparation Resources page on the WIDA website.
Recorded webinars are available on the WIDA website as well the registration links to upcoming training webinars.
The South Dakota Department of Education will be hosting a New Assessment Coordinator Meeting in Pierre September, 29, 2015.